Hello and welcome to this guide on hosting a dedicated server on Ark! This guide will take you through the necessary steps to host your own server, including installation, setup, and troubleshooting. With the popularity of Ark, being able to host your own server can be a great way to improve your gaming experience, customize the game settings, and play with friends. So, let’s get started!
Part 1: Installation
Installing the dedicated server for Ark is the first step in hosting your own server. There are a few different ways to do this:
Method 1: SteamCMD
The easiest method to install a dedicated server for Ark is to use SteamCMD. This is a command-line tool that allows you to download and install games and mods from Steam without having to use the Steam client. Here are the steps:
- Download SteamCMD from the official Valve website.
- Create a new folder for SteamCMD on your computer, such as C:\steamcmd.
- Extract the contents of the SteamCMD zip file to the new folder.
- Open a command prompt or terminal window and navigate to the folder where you installed SteamCMD.
- Enter the following command to log in to SteamCMD:
steamcmd +login anonymous
Once you have logged in, you can start installing the dedicated server for Ark. Here are the steps:
- Enter the following command to download the server files:
app_update 376030 validate
- Wait for the download to finish. This can take some time depending on your internet speed.
- Exit SteamCMD by entering the following command:
That’s it! The server files should now be installed on your computer. You can find them in the following folder:
|Operating System||Server Files Folder|
Method 2: Ark Server Manager
If you prefer a graphical user interface (GUI) for installing and managing the dedicated server for Ark, you can use Ark Server Manager. This is a free and open-source tool that simplifies the process of hosting a server.
Here are the steps to install Ark Server Manager:
- Download Ark Server Manager from the official website.
- Extract the contents of the zip file to a new folder on your computer.
- Run the Ark Server Manager executable.
Once you have installed Ark Server Manager, you can use its interface to download and install the dedicated server files for Ark. The process is similar to using SteamCMD, but with a few differences:
- Click the “Install/Update” button in the main menu.
- Select “Ark: Survival Evolved” from the list of games.
- Select “Dedicated Server” and choose the installation folder.
- Click “Install” to start the download and installation process.
That’s it! The server files should now be installed on your computer.
Part 2: Setup
Now that you have installed the dedicated server for Ark, it’s time to set it up. There are a few different settings you can configure to customize your server, such as the game mode, difficulty, and PvP settings. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Configure Server Settings
The first step in setting up your server is to configure the basic game settings. This can be done through the server’s configuration files, which are located in the following folder:
|Operating System||Configuration Files Folder|
Open the file named “GameUserSettings.ini” in a text editor and modify the settings to your liking. Here are some of the most important settings:
- ServerName: The name of your server as it will appear in the server browser.
- ServerPassword: The password required to join your server.
- ServerAdminPassword: The password required to become an admin on your server.
- ServerPVE: Set this to “true” for a PvE server, or “false” for a PvP server.
- GameMode: The game mode to use, such as “SurvivalOfTheFittest” or “ARKSurvivalEvolved”.
- DifficultyOffset: The difficulty of the game, with higher numbers being more difficult.
Save the file and close the text editor.
Step 2: Start the Server
With the server settings configured, you can now start the server. There are a few different ways to do this:
Method 1: Command Line
The easiest way to start the server is to use the command line. Simply open a command prompt or terminal window and navigate to the folder where you installed the server files. Then enter the following command:
start /wait ShooterGameServer.exe "TheIsland?listen?SessionName=MyServer?ServerPassword=MyPassword?ServerAdminPassword=MyAdminPassword" -server -log
Replace “MyServer”, “MyPassword”, and “MyAdminPassword” with your own values. This will start the server and log output to the console window.
Method 2: Ark Server Manager
If you are using Ark Server Manager, you can start the server through its interface. Simply click the “Start Server” button in the main menu, and the server will start automatically.
That’s it! Your server should now be running and ready for players to join.
Part 3: Troubleshooting
If you encounter any issues while hosting a dedicated server for Ark, here are some common problems and solutions:
Problem 1: Can’t Connect to Server
If players are unable to connect to your server, try the following solutions:
- Ensure that your server is running and accepting connections.
- Check that your firewall is not blocking incoming connections to the server.
- Verify that the server name and password are correct.
- Make sure that the server is listed in the server browser.
Problem 2: Lag or Performance Issues
If your server is experiencing lag or performance issues, try the following solutions:
- Reduce the number of players on the server.
- Lower the game settings to reduce the load on the server.
- Move the server to a higher-performance computer or cloud-based hosting service.
- Check your internet connection to ensure that it is not causing the issue.
Problem 3: Server Crashes or Freezes
If your server is crashing or freezing, try the following solutions:
- Update the server files to the latest version.
- Check for conflicts with mods or other software running on the server.
- Reduce the number of players or entities on the server.
- Check the log files for error messages and address them accordingly.
Q: How much does it cost to host a dedicated server for Ark?
A: The cost of hosting a dedicated server for Ark depends on many factors, such as the hosting provider, server performance, and number of players. Some hosting providers offer plans starting at around $10 per month, while others can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars per month.
Q: Can I host a dedicated server for Ark on my own computer?
A: Yes, it is possible to host a dedicated server for Ark on your own computer. However, this may not be feasible for larger servers or servers with many players, as it can be resource-intensive and strain your internet connection. It is recommended to use a dedicated server hosting provider or cloud-based hosting service for larger servers.
Q: Do I need to have the game installed to host a dedicated server for Ark?
A: No, you do not need to have the game installed to host a dedicated server for Ark. The server files can be downloaded and installed separately using SteamCMD or Ark Server Manager.
Q: Can I use mods on my dedicated server for Ark?
A: Yes, you can use mods on your dedicated server for Ark. However, you will need to install them separately and ensure that they are compatible with the game and other mods. Some hosting providers may not support mods, so be sure to check with your provider before installing them.
Q: How many players can I have on my dedicated server for Ark?
A: The number of players you can have on your dedicated server for Ark depends on the server performance, internet connection, and game settings. Some hosting providers offer plans with specific player limits, while others may allow you to set your own limits. It is recommended to test the server performance with a smaller number of players before increasing the limit.
Q: Can I run multiple dedicated servers for Ark on the same machine?
A: Yes, it is possible to run multiple dedicated servers for Ark on the same machine. However, this may require additional resources and may not be possible with lower-end hardware. It is recommended to use a dedicated server hosting provider or cloud-based hosting service for multiple servers.
Q: Is it legal to host a dedicated server for Ark?
A: Yes, it is legal to host a dedicated server for Ark. However, you must ensure that you are not violating any copyright or intellectual property laws, and that you are complying with the game’s terms of service and user agreement.
Hosting a dedicated server for Ark can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience, whether you are playing with friends or creating a community for other players. With the right tools and knowledge, you can easily install, set up, and troubleshoot your own server, and customize the game to your liking. We hope that this guide has been helpful in getting you started on your journey to hosting your own Ark server!